Friday, September 23, 2011

Time To Think Halloween (Week 5) - Buzz Lightyear

Over the next few weeks, I will be finishing up this series talking about the costumes I made last year for my friends and I. We were all characters from Toy Story.
The first one I am going to write about is, none other than, Buzz Lightyear:

This costume started with white sweat pants and a plain white, long sleeve shirt. I added some lime green pleather (I like this because it's nice and shiny) to the bottom of the sweat pants - making them seem more like bell bottoms. For the shirt, I used a picture of Buzz, to add details that made him look more like the famous space man!
The most challenging part was making the wings. I used my son's football pads as a mold to make a cardboard armature. I folded the cardboard around the shoulder pads to get the shape that I wanted. Then after much duck tape and hot blue to hold it all together, I removed the shoulder pads. I then hot glued white pleather over entire thing. I added longer pieces of card board to make the wings and some puffy paint and felt for detail. The hood was made from shiny purple material.
My friend loved the costume and found it very comfortable to wear.
Thanks for visiting and please leave comments!
You can see where I linked this post to on the right hand side of my page.

http://www.momnivores-dilemma.com/2011/09/halloween-link-party-my-first-halloween.html


6 comments:

  1. Ooooh...pleather! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! My nephew is obsessed with Toy Story and he would just love a smaller version of this costume. It would totally make his world, I'm going to have to share this post with his mom! Found your blog through Skip to My Lou link party.

    Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is wonderful - i just posted about the last 8 yrs of costumes in our family - I'm so impressed with your handiwork

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! My daughter pretends to be Buzz almost every day, so I bet this would be popular around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! It looks just like Buzz!

    ReplyDelete