Friday, September 16, 2011

Time To Think Halloween (Week 4): Bikini Bottom Gang (Sponge Bob)

As I said in one of my earlier "Time To Think Halloween" posts, a group of my friends and I always dress up for Halloween as a group costume. In 2009, we dressed as the gang from Bikini Bottom (Sponge Bob and Friends). Since I am the only one who sews, I make the costumes (which they are all very grateful for each year). This was a BIG undertaking with lots and lots of sewing, lots and lots of mistakes and do-overs, but they came out good in the end. Have a look:

These are the costumes, hanging up, Sandy Cheeks, Squidward, Sponge Bob, Patrick and Mr. Krabs

This picture was taken outside of the party, in the rain, so Sandy Cheeks space helmet is all fogged up. She couldn't see. Squidward hadn't arrived yet!
Sandy Cheeks costume was probably the most challenging. Trying to figure out how to make her space helmet. I ended up getting two clear large plastic bowls and glued them together with super glue. I cut a hole in bottom so she could put it over her head. Glued the felt flower on top and ended up making a felt mask for Sandy to wear underneath. Worked out fine.

Sponge Bob was made from some yellow fabric that I got for $1.00 (I love a bargain) and I used some cotton batting inside and "quilted" some circles on his face, so he looked like a sponge. The chef hat was put on to cover up a mistake I made with his face placement.
Patrick was made from felt and fleece. I sponge painted some darker color pink all over his body to make him look more dimensional. The head had a coat hanger inside to stand up tall.
Squidward was made from from some more discount fabric I found. You can't tell in the picture very well, but he has 4 legs sewn on and just a simple brown collared shirt, that I purchased at a second hand store. His head was a mask. It was difficult to get it right, but I was happy with the outcome.
Sandy Cheeks's body was made from felt and puffy paint was used to decorate. A felt mask under her helmet.
Mr. Krabs was a lot of trial and error trying to get it just right. I purchased navy blue sweatpants (2 pair and put one inside the other and stuffed in between to make him plump. Then sewed a golf shirt to the pants and made a belt. The head was made from felt. My son liked the Mr. Krabs costume so much, that he asked me to make one for him to wear trick or treating. The second one whipped up super fast. I made it the day before Halloween and only in a couple of hours. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Here is my son wearing HIS Mr. Krabs costume!

Please see my sidebar to see where I have linked this post up to.
Leave a comment - I love knowing people have visited.
Hope something here has inspired you today!

New Look Button
Linked up here at Halloween Linky Party:
http://www.momnivores-dilemma.com/2011/09/halloween-link-party-my-first-halloween.html

7 comments:

  1. OMG! Your costumes are absolutely incredible! I'm so impressed with all the detail and at how well you conceived each character!

    So glad I saw your link over at Flamingo Toes!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  2. nephew would love to be sponge bob square pants for halloween but I think dad has other ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - You did an amazing job - you are so creative! I like to sew too but I doubt I could manage what you did. Saw you on linky party and now gfc following you, Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are so much cooler than store bought costumes. Great job! I am a new follower from Gluesticks Blog Hop. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cute costumes!! I really need to learn how to make costumes for my kids! Thank you for sharing at Simply Creations Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing job - the details are incredible too (and I know how much it takes to do costumes!). I've featured it today at Sew Can Do's Craftastic Monday. Feel free to grab a Featured On button:) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever consider selling these? Mistytwalsh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete