Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bottle Cap Crafts...

As promised, I am posting some pictures of my bottle cap magnets. I made these with my girl friends last Friday night and we had a blast.
First, I purchased some adorable sock monkey bottle cap images from Revi1001 on Etsy. I cut them out using my 1" circle punch.
Next I glued my image on the bottle cap with Mod Podge. I like to glue the image to the outside of the cap so it is raised up a bit. I find it dries better that way too.


Then I painted some Mod Podge on top of the image to seal it well. I let it dry completely and then I...


...added the glaze on top. I used a glaze by Sun and Moon on Etsy. It dries fairly fast.
This is what it looks like while drying. Since this picture, I have switched to :


Envirotex Lite.  I really like how the piece comes out. It looks more like glass. It's a little more work, but completely worth it. I found it very easy to use.
When it was all dry I glued a magnet (rare earth magnet) on the back.
 I wanted to make it into an interchangeable bracelet so I took a pair of
brown tights and...
...cut a piece off (yes it's crooked, but it won't matter)!
Just roll it up. You will need two for a bracelet or just one for a choker necklace.
Next I attached a 1/4 inch steel washer (from hardware store) to nylon pieces and then you have a base to stick your magnetic bottle caps to.
Here is a finished bottle cap bracelet!!
So much fun and anyone can do it!
COMING SOON...I will post pics of the adorable magnetic boards I made to keep the bottle caps on.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun craft to do for your kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just what I was looking for. I have the bottle caps and had idea what to do with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bracelet idea, very clever! I'm a new follower. :) Lyndsey from http://abacktobasicslifestyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a fun craft to do with my niece. She is always wanting to buy jewelry, so I'm sure she would have fun making her own. Bottle caps are so easy to get too, which is a plus!

    Alena | http://www.caprite.com.au

    ReplyDelete